Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Scheduler failing. Suspect admin is unable to see network resources

warrencowan
9 - Comet

Hi All, 

Have been an alteryx designer user user a for bit now and recently upgraded to desktop scheduler ( and also 2019.1...am hoping not related but fyi all the same)

I have reinstalled latest version using run as admin as per the reqs and followed the config through, and then as a user, setup a test job to test the scheduler. Nothing fancy, just grab a small excel file off the network and write it to desktop, and run every 2 mins so I can test and debug anything.

I'm finding it fails continuously as it is unable to see the input file on the network. So first thing was to check the run as settings which have been set to my user profile as that is what the network admin uses to recognise me and allow access. These are fine.

However when I run alteryx as admin, I can see that it is unable to see the network resources. It is possible to navigate to the resources by specifying the direct path in explorer (ie \\networkdrive\location ) but none of the saved file locations or recently accessed links that have been generated during all the user level usage of alteryx (which all reference the drive name ie R:\folder\folder) work, and return error 'error workflow cannot be found' etc etc.

It does run however, when I've tested the same workflow by accessing as user and changing the location of the file from the default network lookup path to \\server\location\filename (which seems the only way the admin profile can navigate the network) and it runs successfully.

But that means that I now have to change all my local lookups across all my workflows and remember not to use the default network paths and rewrite them all in future. 

Apparently the local machine administrator can't be given recognition on the network so won't be provided the network resources by default.

All seems a bit of a reach tbh, and I'm pretty sure we don't have an exotic network policy and I think this software is widely used in similar environments without so much complication so I'm convinced something else is wrong.

Anyone got any advice for me and my IT admin.

5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@warrencowan ,

It is a best practice to use Universal Naming Conventions rather than network drive mappings.  These UNC paths are easily set via Options (Advanced Options - Workflow Dependencies).  Here is a help article about them:  https://help.alteryx.com/current/ModuleDependencies.htm

If in the future you move from desktop to server, you will need to adopt this same habit of changing mapped network drives to UNC.  

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
warrencowan
9 - Comet

Thanks Mark that has done the trick, and I can appreciate the best practise approach.

Is there a way to set that as a default behaviour in the tool itself or is it just a case of remembering to review your workflow and edit paths as required.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
That would make a good idea to suggest!
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
warrencowan
9 - Comet

Fair enough! I Shall do.

Many thanks Mark.

I'll take care to mind my P's Q's and Slashes in the interim.

warrencowan
9 - Comet

@mark 

Fair enough! I Shall do. Many thanks Mark.

I'll take care to mind my P's Q's and Slashes in the interim.

Labels