Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Saving to a CSV is changing the date format

danielle_abrams
5 - Atom

I have a file with several date fields that I am trying to save to a CSV format.  The dates in the file are all in YYYY-MM-DD format which is what I want it to stay in.  If I export to excel it comes out correctly.  If I export to CSV it is changing it to MM/DD/YYYY format. I have tried flipping the dates to a variety of Types which all look fine in excel and Alteryx but once I open the CSV they flip to MM/DD/YYYY.  This file gets exported to a client system and immediately gets rejected if in MM/DD/YYYY.  How can I keep the CSV showing correctly as YYYY-MM-DD?  TIA!

2 REPLIES 2
Jeremy
8 - Asteroid

I am not able to replicate this issue, but I have an idea of what might be happening.  Are you opening the .csv file in Excel or in a text editor?  Excel tries to nicely format dates for you according to your localization settings on your computer, even with a .csv file.

I've attached a simple workflow.  It has a string input that has the same date format you want (but it's stored as a string), a DateTimeNow() formula to get a date field, and a DateTime parse tool that changes the format of that date and changes it into a string.

When I open this in a text editor, it looks like this:  (I've formatted the last field "wrong" so the difference is noticeable.  The format is configurable in the DateTime parse tool.) 

Text editor (Notepad++)Text editor (Notepad++)

Then I open the same file in Excel, and Excel nicely formats the date how I don't want.

Excel of same fileExcel of same file

danielle_abrams
5 - Atom

Thanks Jeremy that fixed it!   I thought I was going to lose my mind!  

Labels