Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Saving different Excel formats in same file

honshu
7 - Meteor

I wish to combine three Excel inputs in different formats into the same file, each input on its own sheet.

Often during the second or third export I will run into the error that the Excel file is still in use by another process, even though the process execution from the first file seems to have finished.

I tried to use the "Block Until Done" tool, but it seems to only work when you have your data combined into one table.

i also havent found any solution from the other posts in the forum.

Can anybody help me?

I am using the CReW Wildcard XLSX macro, not sure if that might be the reason?

Thanks!

honshu_0-1589532045235.png

8 REPLIES 8
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @honshu,

You could use a union after your formula tools to bring all records together, followed by a block until done. Use a filter tool after each anchor of the block until done to only keep the set of records you want to output from that anchor and use an output tool on each?

This way your output tools will only be processed one at a time.

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Regards,

Jonathan

honshu
7 - Meteor

Hi @Jonathan-Sherman ,

thanks for the quick reply.

My inputs have different columns. Is there an easy way to also filter each output to its relevant columns?

Regards

Karsten

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

You could follow each filter with a select tool? There are more dynamic ways it could be done (dynamic select with variables passed through a batch macro) - but I always like to keep things simple if they can be

Regards,

Jonathan

honshu
7 - Meteor

The files have too many columns (~100) where a manual selection would be tedious, and I also wish to keep the template flexible enough as the source file structure regularly changes.

I will have a look at the dynamic select option. Could you give me more details on the "batch macro"?

Thanks

JReid
9 - Comet

There's a CReW macro called parallel block until done that I use for this all the time. Here's a video explanation

The macro can be downloaded in the pack here 

honshu
7 - Meteor

thanks @JReid !

Crisbrema
5 - Atom

I have a question , I have a Join and this join have three outputs. If I want to save these three outputs in the same excel file, is it possible? because now I have a mistake with that. I can save the middle output but I have a mistake with the right and left output.

Crisbrema_0-1591749782190.png

honshu
7 - Meteor

Hi @Crisbrema ,

your situation seems very similar to mine, so the above solution should also work for you.

Install the CReW macro pack (http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html) and then use their macro "Parallel Block Until Done" as below

Labels