Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Saving Outlook Email draft

Raj_2
8 - Asteroid

Dear All,

Need a help to create more than 20 emails every month through a standard excel. I need to include a link in the email and subject , to , from to be picked from the excel input. This shall be saved in outlook draft. The signature also to be selected from an html file.

Please let me know, if we can create a work flow for this.

Regards

Raj

6 REPLIES 6
lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Raj_2

Can you please elaborate on what you envision?  Is Excel required or could you use Alteryx?  Similarly, is there a reason to use Outlook rather than just the Email tool?

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
Raj_2
8 - Asteroid

Sure

Currently we use an excel macro to save a standard email draft every month with link attached to it. They are 20 + emails to be drafted every month and with a standard link to open the folder. There is a contact list we have. So i'm trying to explore whether Alteryx can help here.

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Raj_2

There is an overview in the Tool Mastery series, and up-to date information on the Email tool in the help.  (Please do note that the option to autodetect SMTP has been removed to improve security, so you'll have to contact your IT group to get the settings.) 

There are a couple of things you need to keep in mind when using that tool.  One is that an email is generated and sent for every record that goes into the tool.  If you have a lot of information you want to include in the message, you'll want to do some pre-processing in the workflow to make sure that all the information is grouped into a single record.  (The Layout tool may be helpful in this regard depending on the nature of the information.)  If you want to send the same thing to a list of recipients, you may want to use a Summarize tool to concatenate a column of addresses into a single entry.

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
connor1234
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

It seems as if I am having the same issue as you. I send out numerous emails every quarter and I am looking to have Alteryx create and save a draft of my emails using an excel sheet that contains the subject line, recipients, etc. I was wondering how you were able to create a solution in Alteryx for this?

Bellamm
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Raj,

May I ask whether you have solved the issue? Due to security reason, we don't want to send out the email via Alteryx directly, but want to save down the draft email in outlook draft mail box. I have already created the process which could help me draft email, but don't know how to save it down in mailbox, are you able to help on this?

Moreover, would you mind sharing the macro script you are currently using to save draft email? 🙂 thanks very much!

Best regards,

Bella

Raj_2
8 - Asteroid

The above work flow will work if you need to send an email, it wont be able to move to draft folder.

But if you can create a delay delivery rule in outlook and can move to draft folder later. But can be used for sending emails.

Hope this helps

Labels