Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Saved Expressions

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Can anyone point me to where the Saved Expressions are saved on my computer? When I installed the 11.0 beta next to my 10.6, it seems as though my saved expressions are now missing. I'm assuming they're still on my computer somewhere...

7 REPLIES 7
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I'm no authority on this, but I believe they are only maintained in the computer registry.

On my machine they are located in the registry at...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRC\Alteryx\4.0\Exp

Honestly not sure how you would move them, but would think that once you find them and then where the beta version is on your computer, you could possibly export/import them from one location to another.

I do happen to have a workflow that I got from somewhere in the past that will read that registry folder and export the records. Maybe that can be of some use...  Smiley Embarassed

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thanks @RodL, that was exactly it! I did some testing and it wasn't the beta that deleted my saved expressions. I'll keep an eye on it.

harvjul
8 - Asteroid

My formulas disappeared late afternoon yesterday.  I did not update any Alteryx versions yesterday.  I see where they are stored in the registry, but it doesn't seem that there is a great way to restore them all.

Any info on why they were deleted?

After running the workflow above, do you simply copy and paste every formula back to Alteryx, or is there an easier way?

JakeS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@harvjul 

In that same Registry location (Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRC\Alteryx\4.0\Exp), there is an entry named "SaveNum." The value of this entry should be equal to the number of expressions that you've created. If the number is less, you can manually changed it to the number of expressions you have available. I would recommend having it equal the highest "SaveName" value. For example, if your highest value is "SaveName23" change the SaveNum entry to 23. 

Jake Samuels

Principal Support Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
harvjul
8 - Asteroid

This is the third time my expressions have disappeared.  I have not updated Alteryx but my Saved Expressions are again completely MIA.  This takes so much time to open up workflows and re-save all of the formulas.

If I run the workflow in this thread, I do get 140 lines in the registry.  But it isn't easy to parse the formulas out.  It is easier to open all my recent workflows and re-save the formulas.  Has anyone else experienced disappearing formulas and/or found an easier way to get them back?

harvjul
8 - Asteroid

This works to update the SaveNum from the 0 to the 23 of expressions that I have saved.  "

I wonder why the number resets to 0?

Thank you!!

JakeS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@harvjul 

You can set the SaveNum value to the highest "SaveNumXX" value that you have available in the registry (I wouldn't go higher). This way all of your available expressions will come back. 

Jake Samuels

Principal Support Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
Labels