Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Save File Outputs to Different File Path Locations

jbfries
6 - Meteoroid

Hello! 

I have a data set with a Division Code Field. I subsequently need to output a separate files for each Division and have each saved to the Divisions' respective folder on a shared drive. I have a Reporting Paths file (screenshot 2 below) that dictates each file path location by Division Code (i.e. where it should be saved). How could I use the Reporting Path file by Division to have Alteryx save each Division file to its respective folder (i.e. file path)?

Screenshot 1 - 

jbfries_0-1631712520151.png

Screenshot 2 - File Paths by Division

jbfries_2-1631712664564.png

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

There's an option in the Output tool to use a field as the filename, you just need to complete your folder path with the name of the file.

Christina_Hurrell_0-1631713517600.png

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @jbfries ,

if I got you right, you have a file with the path for specific region/division/report combinations. You can append the path to the result data .

2021-09-15_17-11-55.jpg

Next step is to create the filename including the full path and (in case you write to Excel, the sheet name). You can do this using a Formula tool.

2021-09-15_17-14-55.jpg

The Output Data tool has the option to replace the path by a field name. Now you should be done.

Let me know if it works for you.

Best,

Roland

jbfries
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Roland, 

Thank you for your help!

Attached is my current workflow. Had to remove sensitive data from the Paths and Report. I was able to output to different file paths using the output tool, but couple questions below. 

2 Questions: 

1. Can I do the same as your screenshotted workflow, but using a Render tool? I would like to be able to format the output and have not found a way to do that using the Output tool.

2. Is there a way to specify the sheet name in my Formula Tool #15 to be the 'FileName' field from the data?

Thanks again!

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @jbfries ,

an approach could be to move the "output part" to a batch macro and hand over the respective chunks of data. I've adjusted your workflow a bit. 

2021-09-16_08-39-48.jpg

The reporting path file included in the package is tailored to my environment, so you have to replace it.

Best,

Roland

AnaSofiaPires
6 - Meteoroid

Hello @RolandSchubert  , could you share the Macro?

How did you built it ?

I am trying to save multiple PDF outputs from a render tool, into a new folder each quarter, but I dont know how to automatically change the «location 

Labels