Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Sample data based on frequency distribution

mi_schmidt
6 - Meteoroid

Dear fellow Alteryx fans,

I'm currently struggling to create sample data based on a distribution.

The input data looks like this: for each time interval (Name) the frequency is given (Bin) (please ignore column Total).

alteryx.PNG

My goal is to generate a 10k random value bassed on this sample distribution. In total, there are around 30 different sample distributions.

I looked into using the Data Sampling Tool, however could not generate the desired output and had the feeling that the performance is not the best.

Does anyone has an idea how to approach this differently?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Michael

4 REPLIES 4
Raj_Singh1
9 - Comet

hi @mi_schmidt 

your question is not very clear

can you provide more details and also which column will be input and which is desired output

there are the columns name, bin, total. so which will be input and whats desired output for 10k values

mi_schmidt
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @Raj_Singh1 ,

Thanks for taking the time to go through the post.

There is no designated input colum, see it as distribution similar to the normal distribution for example. A value (column Name) should be generate based on the frequency stated in colum Bin. (The colum total is the summed up frequency of colum bin).

When I generated e.g. 10000 values of Name, the distribution should again look similar like the plot attached.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

Michael

Raj_Singh1
9 - Comet

Hi @mi_schmidt 

Please see excel file to go as input(select tabella2 sheet) from the one i am attaching.

and aslo the workflow. it should work for 10k values if i got it right. maybe you will have to configure a bit. let me know if any issues 🙂

mi_schmidt
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @Raj_Singh1 ,

Thanks for providing your solution.

I had checked and it runs smoothly, however I'm actually looking for a reversed version of your workflow: my desired output is your input 🙂

Best

Michael

Labels