Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Sample Workflow of a Outlook Email as an Input

arjundelara
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

Upon exploring for a Outlook Email as an input I realize how my input will update for the incoming email that needed to input in a workflow.

May I see or is there anyone can show me an example of a workflow that dynamically update the input from a outlook email and straight thru on a worfkflow and then output.

I want to learn how that the outlook email inputed like a excel file and manage process by process.

Thanks In Advance !

Cheers,

5 REPLIES 5
Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @arjundelara 

So this is very much possible, but you need to connect Outlook to an Access Database. You can then bring that database into Alteryx, and use some sort/sample tools to make sure you are always pulling the latest emails into your workflow. 

My email folder:

Maskell_Rascal_0-1604443167720.png

Access Database:

Maskell_Rascal_1-1604443248296.png

*note that the table name created will be the same as the folder name in Outlook

When you first bring you Access Database onto the canvas, it will appear to be empty. You'll need to modify the SQL code to get it to read the table. This can be done as follows:

Step 1

Maskell_Rascal_2-1604443402084.png

Step 2

Maskell_Rascal_3-1604443433278.png

Step 3: Type in the name of the table created in your Access Database

Maskell_Rascal_4-1604443491752.png

You should now see the email for that folder pull through. You can then add sort and sample tools to only pull in the newest email. Kinda like below:

Input from Table:

Maskell_Rascal_6-1604443725761.png

After sort and sample tool:

Maskell_Rascal_7-1604443765411.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Thanks!

Phil

arjundelara
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Maskell_Rascal 

Highly appreciated your help,

I'm using a format .accdb Access file but when I'm connecting it to as an input I'm getting this error.

Input Data (1) InboundNamedPipe GetOverlappedResult: The pipe has been ended. ¶

But when I'm convert the link in access to table no error but it will not refresh the data in table if i'm getting a new email in outlook.

Thank you!

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hey @arjundelara 

This is a common error that is typically thrown for unknown reasons. Sometimes it is due to a corrupt file, sometimes its from the engine crashing meaning you would need to uninstall and reinstall Alteryx, but normally it occurs because of an unaccounted for reason. The message boards are typically a mix of solutions to this problem. 

When you get this error, it is best to reach out to your Client Services Rep who will work with you directly to try to reproduce and fix your issue, or so it can be escalated through the proper channels. 

I would recommend submitting your case to support: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Support/bd-p/SupportPage

Thanks!

Phil

arjundelara
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Maskell_Rascal ,

We'll Uninstall and Install the Alteryx and will send a feedback soon 🙂

Thank you!

Regards,

Landi
6 - Meteoroid

how do you get to see the attachments in the access database?

Labels