Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Salesforce Output Batch Jobs Not Closing

rpaugh
11 - Bolide

When outputting data via the Salesforce Output tool, if there are no records to output Salesforce still creates a job with zero batches and never closes it.  If the workflow produces no data to be sent to Salesforce then how do I:

1. Close the Salesforce job after the workflow completes?
    ...or...
  2. Prevent the Salesforce job from being created in the first place if no records will be outputted?

I tried using the block tool to prevent data from being sent to the output tool in the first place, but it apparently still creates a job with no batches in Salesforce.

2 REPLIES 2
rpaugh
11 - Bolide

Alteryx rep recommended using the Detour tool.  This is a bit of a workaround and requires batch macros for each Salesforce output, but it works!

First, create a batch macro with your Salesforce destination that accepts the count of records being sent via the control parameter as well as the fields being sent to the Salesforce output via the macro input:

Alteryx Batch Macro with Detour - 2017-03-15_10-27-05.png

When data is sent to the macro it will be sent directly to the Salesforce output, otherwise the output is bypassed and the flow ends.

Second, add the macro to your workflow, sending in the count of records and field mapping to your batch input:

Alteryx Batch Macro Example - 2017-03-15_10-30-44.png

When there are territory updates, but no inserts, Salesforce creates only the job for updates:

Alteryx Batch Macro Job Result - 2017-03-15_10-33-50.png

calebdugger
7 - Meteor

Thank you for posting this! I was having the same problems and it looks like this doesn't create the bulk load jobs with nothing in them.

I do have a question: do you have to create a different macro for each different workflow you create (if it has different fields you are updating in the Salesforce output)? I'm hoping there is an easy way to dynamically select the fields being passed through to the macro so I don't have to create a new macro for every scenario i have where different fields are selected to be updated. - I get that a different one would have to be created for each table.

Any help is appreciated!

Labels