community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Salesforce Input Tool Error: OPERATION_TOO_LARGE: exceeded 100000 distinct ids

Meteoroid

I'm trying to query the Attachment table in Salesforce using the Salesforce Input tool but get an error that the "OPERATION_TOO_LARGE: exceeded 100000 distinct ids". My confusion sets in because I can query the Opportunity table and there are well over 500,000 unique opportunities so why is 100,000 giving this table so much trouble? I've tried limiting the query using the WHERE clause with no success. Seems like everything I try returns the same error. 

I'm running Alteryx Server Version: 2018.3.5.52487 on Windows Server 2016 Standard; Version 1607; OS Build 14393.2551 (I get the same error on my Windows 10 Enterprise machine as well). I'm also using the most current Salesforce Input tool from gallery.alteryx.com.

Let me know if there is more info you need to help me troubleshoot.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @WindDoh

This is a message that is returned from the Salesforce API and is not an error message generate by Alteryx. This link on Salesforce describes the error and details why it occurs:

"Description: When a user, without the "view all data" permission on the profile tries to run a report which returns more than 20.000 records, the user will receive an error message saying "Operation too large"

Resolution: There is a limitation on the number of activity records that a standard user can see as per design.

The running user needs to refine the filter criteria (i.e. reduce the date range, add some more criteria...) or provide the "view all data" permission to the user.

The requested operation failed because the query attempted to return more records than the allowed limit. For example, for queries on Activities, you may not return more than 100,000 accounts. Reduce the scope of your query and retry the operation.

Note:

An option to create a permission set with "View All Data" permission, then add it to the affected user. Can be added as another solution as this approach will be applied to specific users. As to where applying changes to a profile will be for all users under that profile."

JakeS

Customer Support Engineer

Meteoroid

Thanks @JakeS, where you mention 20,000 results, since my error message mentions 100,000, which quantity would be the correct number of records I can run before throwing an error?

Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @WindDoh

The limit may be different for other types of data:

"For example, for queries on Activities, you may not return more than 100,000 accounts. Reduce the scope of your query and retry the operation."

I would recommend setting the limit to a number less than 100,000 and see if the error subsides.

Jakes

Meteoroid

@JakeS, on a whim, I added a "Where" clause and that did the trick. Before asking the forum, I had tried limiting it down to 1 result with no success. I'm curious what would happen if my "Where" clause returned more than 20,000 & 100,000 results.

Anyways, I appreciate the quick response and help.

Labels