Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Salesforce Download Tool Not Updating Query Via Action & Control Param

warrencowan
9 - Comet

Hi wiser people,

Im using the salesforce download tool in a batch macro, and using a control param and action to replace a part of the query with a different parent record ID, so that I filter the rows a certain parent record, and swap that ID arounf as a I run the macro for different cases.

Dubya_0-1590155884075.png

Capture2.PNG

The solution works fine in normal workflows with its default setting, however when I run the batch macro inside a workflow, and pass in a different record ID (eg a033z00001C9uWHAAZ) to the control param so it can replace the one in the query part tool, it doesn't update the query, and I get the output from the default query defined in the original bacth macro.

Capture.PNG

I've tried dozens of lines of attack on this, including query variations in the tool, trying custom queries versus the query build, updating the value directly and by formula, I've looked in the debugger to see if the action is actually firing, moving the position of the action in the order, deleting it all and trying again.

...and I have thought about abandoning the idea of an ID as a swapable filter in query, but I fear the data will quickly grow very large and dont want to be downloading all rows everytime, so I'm sticking with it for this reason , and also because this should just work as the feature is intended.

This feels like a bug in the tool, but if anyone has any ideas for anything I've missed, I will gladly try them all.

thanks in advance, w

2 REPLIES 2
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You're right, this should be easy! 

Have you tried unchecking the Replace a specif string box and actually replace the whole bit inside the double quotes, including the single quotes.

warrencowan
9 - Comet

I did @DavidP , yes! Sorry, no daylight there.

I did however find the solution last night, and am sort of kicking myself. Having thought about some of my other fruitless attempts to manipulate tools at the back end, I recalled that sometimes the front end functions aren't always the be all and end all of the final query, so decided to see what else was going on. 

Turns out the whole 'where' node (which is where you build your soql statement in the tool UI) is a complete red herring in the back end.

All it does is pass a statement into the final active query, which is actually fully displayed in the query node, if only I bother to mouse over it.

Because its broken over lines, only the first line of the query shows up, where it simply says 'SELECT, and doesn't behave like all the other long strings which simply run on through the horizontal scroll. This lulls you into presuming there nothing there. But if you hover or select it you can see the whole query. 

Dubya_0-1590320819296.png

Applying the action to this node is successful, and here's the herring.... is successful regardless of what is configured in the 'Where' node.

So am going to consider this one case closed for now.

Really appreciate you taking the time to read through and repond though, so many thanks.

and my sheepish apologies to alteryx for daring to suggest it was a bug.

Am marking this as solved in case anyone else has the same problem.

(Happy for alteryx to deduct marks for marking my own homework)

Labels