Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

SUMIF/Running total

CJHM
7 - Meteor

Hi, I want to rank some data and then divide each "country" in the attached example into segments. Each segment represents 10% of the total sum of column B, Data. So in the end each "segment" will have roughly the same sum of data but different amounts of countries as I have shown in the "check" to the right.

In alteryx I manage to make column C, the rank... but I cannot get column D, the running total which sums column B if the value in column C is less than or equal to that cell in column C. Then the next step is column E which says that if the value in column D is less than total sum of column B/10*1, put it in segment 1, if it is less than the total sum of column B/10*2 put it segment 2 etc. 

Can anyone help please? 

Thank you! 

5 REPLIES 5
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @CJHM,

I have created a solution for column D.

Emil_Kos_0-1603458187986.png

Unfortunately, I don't have an easy solution to column E and I don't want to overcomplicate things. 

Maybe someone else on the community can help with that? 

CJHM
7 - Meteor

Thank you @Emil_Kos! That works well for step 1!

Hopefully someone can help with step 2 🙂

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @CJHM,

It took me a while but I got it for you.

Emil_Kos_0-1603458960289.png

Please mark it as a solution if this is something helpful!

Good luck!

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hey @CJHM 

Here's my approach of doing what you're after:

I've used the Tile tool to group the countries into percentiles, the Segments its created are a little different to the ones in your excel sheet, so I've included a comparison in the container at the bottom, so you can see if you're happy with them.

Hope that helps,

Ollie

OllieClarke_0-1603460277168.png

CJHM
7 - Meteor

Thank you very much to both of you! 

Labels