Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

SSAS Cube Connection and MS Power Query

BI_Pleb
7 - Meteor

Morning,

I have a need to get data out of an SSAS cube into Alteryx, to blend without data source. There does not seem to be way of doing this directly, so have created an MS Power Query in Excel (effectively a refreshable table) which I refresh prior to running my alteryx model.

Two questions:

• Does anyone know of a direct way to connect to an SSAS cube into Alteryx?
  • Does anyone know how to trigger the refresh of MS Power Query in Excel as part of the Alteryx work flow?

Cheers

Dave

36 REPLIES 36
kkumar
6 - Meteoroid

Still having issue connecting and running the workflow for accessing the cube. Anyone still facing any issues for this workflow? 

JimBow
6 - Meteoroid

Managed to finally get this working.

If there could be the option to feed in a query via a file rather than an input box, that would be cool.

Also the SSAS.exe could have the option to override the Windows Authentication details.

For sure there were lots of errors until installing the ADO.NET part. A good technique to bug fix, we would browse to the MDXQuery.bat file in temp and edit a pause on the end. Running it would then give us a detailed explanation.

Would be great if the Alteryx teams could take pity on those of us who have to deal with Cubes, through no fault of our own. :)

N___
6 - Meteoroid

I know this is an old thread, but wondering if anyone knows:

1. Is it possible to pass credentials with this approach?

2. Does this also work for Azure Analysis Services (AAS)?

I've tried to isolate the issue by constructing the mdxquery.bat file manually and entering details, but can't see anywhere to enter credentials, and not sure if this would work on AAS or just SSAS. Appreciate any insight you can offer! Otherwise, I may need to look into building a separate python script, but I'm quite rusty.

@s_pichaipillai - are you still active here?

roballison
5 - Atom

I am also using OLAP Cubes, specifically SSAS Multi-Dimensional Cubes.  We have a lot of happy end users who do not have time to learn Alteryx or any other technical work like querying source data.  They just want to drag and drop and pivot.  Anyway, thanks for this work.  Very helpful!

Appears I'm on analysis service 12 instead of the 11 referenced in the replies. Any chance someone has modified a version of the .exe for this?

xAJBx
7 - Meteor

I'm in the same situation only I am on 15.  Did you ever find a solution for this?  Currently I am downloading SQL Server 2012 which I believe has vs 11 in the install.

Yep, I ended up having to install the old version in addition to the new for other purposes. Once did so, seemed to be in good shape, continues to function for now. 🙂

Labels