Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

SQL editor

ekosj
5 - Atom

I had the 32-bit version of Alteryx (2022.1..1.30961_1) but when I was just issued a new laptop it had the 64-bit version installed.   All my old workflows still run.  In fact, they are lots faster.   But (you knew there was a "but" coming) I can no longer edit the SQL for those old workflows, I was lazy and never took the time to build the dynamic interfaces to change frequently changed parameters, I always just changed things directly in the SQL.   But now I can't seem to access the SQL.  When I click on the button that should bring up the SQL editor, Alteryx just locks up tight and needs to be restarted.   Ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @ekosj ,

Have you updated the data connections and their respective aliases in the input tools/workflow?

ekosj
5 - Atom

Yes.  The connections are updated.  The workflows run just fine.

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

What happens when you click on the 3 dots next to the Table or Query setting in the configuration window?  Does Alteryx just hang?

Have you also tried reestablishing the database connection in a new Input Data tool?

ekosj
5 - Atom

RE - What happens when you click on the 3 dots next to the Table or Query setting in the configuration window?  Does Alteryx just hang?

Exactly

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Have you also tried reestablishing the database connection in a new Input Data tool?

If you are trying to access the SQL query itself, can you try the following and try accessing the query that way:-

- In Alteryx Designer: Options > User Settings > Edit User Settings > Advanced > Display XML in Properties Window. This will allow you to view the XML code of individual tools and the entire workflow as you work in Alteryx designer.

- Alteryx Designer workflows (.yxmd/.yxmc/.yxwz/.bak) can also be opened in text editing programs (like Notepad++). This will allow you to view the same XML code in another program.

ekosj
5 - Atom

Havent tried option 1 yet ... but option 2 ... "Alteryx Designer workflows (.yxmd/.yxmc/.yxwz/.bak) can also be opened in text editing programs (like Notepad++). This will allow you to view the same XML code in another program."   works a treat!!!

Push comes to shove I can use that to rebuild the queries easily.

Thanks!!!

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

awesome. 

This can definitely be a possible work around. 

I would also suggest reaching out to Alteryx support to understand better why it was hanging in the first place! :)

guibader
5 - Atom

Hi guys, i have the same situation, when i click in the 3 dots to open the sql editor appears this msg box.

It started because a downloaded the last version of alteryx.

This option "Alteryx Designer workflows (.yxmd/.yxmc/.yxwz/.bak) can also be opened in text editing programs (like Notepad++). This will allow you to view the same XML code in another program." works to me too, but have you seen this error ?

guibader_0-1668602603931.png

Labels