Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

SQL Stored Procedures - incomplete list

mtatum
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I am successfully connecting to my SQL Server and able to see a lot of my stored procedures, but not ALL procedures are populating in the list.  Would there be a reason for that? 

Thanks,

Mary Tatum

Colorado Coalition for the Homeless

4 REPLIES 4
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @mtatum 

This could be related to permissions granted on the SPs in the database.  Are you able to see the all the SPs if you connect using the same account with SSMS.

Dan

mtatum
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. I am connecting the with the same credentials in Alteryx as I do in SSMS.  I can see them all in SSMS.  I'm wondering if it's an issue with how large the stored procedure (sp) is?  Looking into those that aren't on the list, they seem to be pretty large with a lot of dependencies.  Are there any settings in Alteryx to allow for very large sp's or queries.  On another note, yet relevent, when I just paste the large query that I'm working with into the SQL editor, it will paste all of the text, but when I try to run it, it truncates much of the query and errors out.

Thank you!

Mary

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @mtatum 

As far as stored procedures go, Alteryx doesn't care about size or complexity, as long as they return a single result set back(all of our stored procedures have SET NOCOUNT ON as their first line).  Alteryx doesn't try to parse or understand them.  It just tells SQL server to execute them and waits for the results.  

I'm not aware of any limitation on the size of queries that you can put in the SQL Query editor and I haven't been able to find any posts on this topic either.  We don't do a lot work directly in the query editor since most of our data comes through SPs for tracking and compliance purposes.  

Dan

mtatum
6 - Meteoroid

Dan, 

I wanted to let you know that once I switched from an ODBC to an OLEDB connection my stored procedure ran great.  I just wanted to thank you for your time on this.

Mary

Labels