Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

SQL Server RESTORE BACKUP via pre SQL statement

esar
8 - Asteroid

My use case is to collect data from SQL server backup file which has hundreds of databases. I would like to restore databases one by one and read the same table from every database.

I have tried to restore the database with a pre SQL statement but the database stuck in restoring mode.

The same SQL statement works fine in SSMS but not with Alteryx. I have a feeling that Alteryx does not wait long enough that restore finishes and that fails to process.

Does anyone have a solution or idea?

6 REPLIES 6
RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@esar can you share what your Alteryx workflow looks like and what error you are receiving?

esar
8 - Asteroid

@RishiK Here is the file.

Alteryx sends a pre SQL statement to the server but the database gets stuck in a restoring state. So Alteryx gives an error that the database does not respond.

Same Restore code works fine in SSMS.

RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@esar this might be a timeout thing between Designer and the Database. Have you tried this using the in-db tools or via a stored proc in the workflow? 

Can you upload a snapshot of your workflow log when this error comes about?

esar
8 - Asteroid

@RishiK  Thanks for your response.

Time Out is my guess too, I don't know if it's build-in or can I fix it?

Without a restore statement that same pre SQL statement works well.

I was not able to use that Restore statement with in-db tools either.

SP is my next option.

esar
8 - Asteroid

@RishiK 

Now it works. Looks like there is some limitations or problem with ODBC driver, which Alteryx uses.

When I used the latest OleDB driver Restore worked well.

RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@esar I was thinking drivers earlier when I messaged you. Im glad its working however 

Labels