Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

SQL Query/Script Automation

hulloswin
5 - Atom

Why is there no tool for executing sql scripts? I have had several issues where I had a script I needed to be ran which contains 20+ individual SQL statements. Why can Alteryx not just execute the script in the database?

4 REPLIES 4
gnans19
11 - Bolide

Are you from SSIS background?

Alteryx is not a pure ETL platform. You can compare Alteryx workflow as one data flow task in SSIS. You cannot have Execute SQL inside a data flow task.

adm510
11 - Bolide

Unfortunately this is a use case that Alteryx does not want to implement. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Have-an-SQL-Tool/idi-p/5392

hulloswin
5 - Atom

The solution I am currently using is to create an automation script with Toad Datapoint to execute the script then execute the toad automation script in alteryx like a batch file. It just makes no sense that alteryx can't execute an sql. Seems like it should be really simple. 

bbtak
7 - Meteor

Totally agree. I'm new to Alteryx and having just come back feeling fired-up from Alteryx Inspire 2018, I feel my spirits somewhat dampened by this glaring omission. I'm also trying to work on a "local solution" similar to what you describe.

If running a sql script is not considered to be part of a "data flow", then why does Alteryx incorporate pre and post-sql statements at all in the "Output Data" tool. Surely the need for such pre/post statements is acknowledgement that there is definitely a use case for running sql scripts within a dataflow.

The absence of such a facility potentially means I have to go to a dedicated ETL tool for my full end-to-end process, (and face some embarrassing questions from management about why I didn't spot this in my two week evaluation.)

There's no point in me constructing "half a flow" in Alteryx and then having to drop out to a different tool for part of the data manipulation. That just adds complexity that I was hoping to Alteryx would help me avoid.

Labels