Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

SQL Join Query instead of Join Tool

AJuliet101
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I am looking to apply left join using SQL query between many tables instead of using Alteryx Join tool where my all data is coming from different tables within same database. I have used Input data tool which is connected through specific DSN. I tried to apply left join using Alteryx Join tool which is impacting the processing time of workflow and making it more complex with each Join tool added at every step.

Any suggestions on which tool should I use to write the SQL Join query and get the output which can be connected to Primary Input Data tool. Attached it the example of my workflow and instead of multiple Join tool I wanted to write SQL query to get the same join condition between my primary table to different tables.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @AJuliet101,

You can make use of In-DB tools to perform multiple left joins, so that Alteryx does not take much time.

IN-Database Tools allow you to perform data blending and Analysis without moving the Data out of a database.

For Details on the Same you can go through the link given below:

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/database-overview

Sapna Gupta
AJuliet101
7 - Meteor

HI @grazitti_sapna ,

Thanks for the quick reply. Your suggestion helped me exploring the new way of using multiple joins in one go but there are some restrictions like I don't have the access to Server and database from where I am importing the data in Alteryx Input Data tool instead there is a DSN in gallery which is connecting to SQL Server Object>Linked Servers, through which that Server and Database is accessible.

Is there any way to connect with Linked Servers of SQL Objects in Alteryx using Connect In-DB tool.

Thanks.

Labels