Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

SQL Formula in-DB An expression of non-boolean type

AW25
7 - Meteor

Hello! I'm retrieving/manipulating data from our SQL database through Alteryx and I keep running into this error:

Error: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server: An expression of non-Boolean type specified in a context where a condition is expensed, near 'Balance'\42000 = 4145 in Query

Here is a simplified version of the expression that's still prompting the error. What's weird is that when I enter this in Management Studio, I don't get any errors.

SELECT

CASE

WHEN 51010Balance IS < 0
                   THEN (1)*51010Balance

WHEN 51020Balance IS < 0
                   THEN (1)*51020Balance

ELSE (0)*51020Balance

END

The Output Field is a new column that I defined as FixedDecimal (I tried Double and V_WString as well).

2 REPLIES 2
Claje
14 - Magnetar

SQL in Alteryx is largely the same as it is in any other tool, but there are sometimes a few small semantic issues that can trick you up.

Two quick suggestions that may or may not help - I have had success with these in the past, but your error may be related to another problem.

1) Enclose your field names in brackets, eg: [51010Balance] - that way if for some reason it is being interpreted otherwise, you forcibly tell Alteryx to read them as fields.

2) Try removing the keyword IS from your Case statement.  I don't know if this will change anything, but I don't believe it is required in SQL.

AW25
7 - Meteor

Thank you Claje! The brackets around the field names solved the problem

Labels