Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

[SOLVED] Numbers not added up correctly

David2019
5 - Atom

When I'm adding up several numeric fields, the sum is not always calculated correctly. In certain cases the value is shown as [Null] instead of as the actual sum.

To calculate the sum, I use the formula tool:

UnitsVolume_01_2015 + UnitsVolume_02_2015 + ...

Both input and output fields are formatted as double.

When I export the data to Excel and add up the same fields in Excel, sums are calculated correctly. I can't see any misformatted values, leading/trailing white spaces or any other obvious issues that could explain this odd behavior.

Any ideas why the sum could be [Null] instead of the actual value?

3 REPLIES 3
SamDesk
11 - Bolide

Hi @David2019,

Do you have some sample data you could upload to help diagnose your issue?

Sam :)

jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Hi @David2019 , 

If any one the components to be summed (i.e. UnitsVolume_01_2015, UnitsVolume_02_2015, ... ) is Null, the result of the summation is Null because in the formula in Alteryx, 1 + 2 + Null = Null but not 3. In order to ask Alteryx to treat Null as zeros, you could use a Data Cleansing tool to replace Null with 0 for all the fields to be used in your formula (before your Formula tool):

Capture.PNG

David2019
5 - Atom

Yes, already solved it in the meantime, but that was exactly the problem, thanks!

Labels