Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

SOAP API call via download tool - dealing with returned encoded embedded XML data

RGesler
5 - Atom

I have a SOAP Web Service API call via the Download tool issue that I have not seen addressed.

I correctly POST to the service and expect a return of XML data which I want to handle via the XML Parse tool. My issue is that SOAP is returning the XML data in an encoded embedded fragment. As I understand it SOAP must return XML this way to prevent an error from making the SOAP envelope/body invalid.

My issue is that the Download Tool's DownloadData field does not decode this embedded data. W hen sent to the XML Parse tool it errors due to it finding "&lt;" and "&gt;" instead of "<" and ">". I have tried using a Find Replace to convert in between with no luck.

I have validated the Header, Payload string and Result with SOAPui tool. That tool automatically decodes and handles the <return> tag as a complete XML document.

Is there a way to handle this in Alteryx?

Thanks

Rich

1 REPLY 1
RGesler
5 - Atom

I finally got this working and I wanted to share what I ended up doing to handle the CDATA.

First I Concatenated the rows using the Summarize tool.  Then to extract the <return> data used Formula:  REGEX_Replace([Concat_DownloadData], ".*<return>(.*?)</return>", '$1')     Then finally I used Find Replace to convert the ascii chars to "<" and ">".

Thanks to all of the various past responses I was able to piece together what I needed.

-Rich

Labels