Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

SFTP Upload Error : Error transferring data: URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL

mkav9893
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I am using files from a server drive that are to be uploaded to the SFTP on a weekly basis, and am seeking to automate the process, rather than having to spend time manually performing this process. I am attempting to upload files to an sftp automatically using the download tool, Using the tutorial here:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Upload-to-SFTP-FTP/ta-p/20845

However, when attempting to upload I am getting the following error:

Error transferring data: URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL

I know the SFTP credentials are correct because I am able to access it via WinSCP. Can someone please provide some insight to my workflow configuration and verify that nothing is glaringly wrong?

2 REPLIES 2
mkav9893
8 - Asteroid

I just realized that I never did the following:

"I'm running my SFTP server on localhost port 22334 and I want to save my file on the root directory of the SFTP server therefore my URL is sftp://localhost:22334/filename.xlsx. Don't forget to start the URL with sftp:// or ftp:// depending on what protocol the server is running. I also add the file location in the second field."

I added the sftp:// to the filename, but how do I add the port specification?

mkav9893
8 - Asteroid

I updated the address field according to the above using the ftp:// and specifying the port number, but found that did not work, and instead I received the following error:

error transferring data: couldnt connect to server uploading to sftp

Then I realized I had to specify the file name within the address, and I stripped the ftp:// and port specification, and simply added the file name to the end like so: ftp.blahblahblah.com/file1.csv - Which worked!

Labels