Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

SAP BW Read how to handle quotes in description fields

LeonDuf
5 - Atom

I'm using the SAP BW read tool and the customer description contains a single quote.After reading the BW data with the Alteryx script the customer description returns the value ' instead of a single quote.

4 REPLIES 4
Mchappell67
9 - Comet

Hi -

I just did a quick check and BW Read returns the correct value when the field contains a single quote, e.g. "O'Brien" is returned/displayed correctly.

To clarify, is "customer description" a field or are you referring to the "description" in the metadata?

What is the datatype of the field in question?

Also, are you able to examine the field in question via another method, i.e. a t-code, to confirm that it is stored correctly in the system?

Mark

LeonDuf
5 - Atom

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

Below an explanation of the flow of the text through the systems from BW to Alteryx.

In the BW system the description in the Infoobject of the Bill To Party:

LeonDuf_0-1672212255371.png

In the AFO(Analysis For Office) query output in excel:

LeonDuf_7-1672213092950.png

Then the Alteryx configuration:

Selection of the Bill To Party field with de “Default Text” using the AFO BW query, shown earlier

LeonDuf_2-1672212255380.png

The settings for the BW Read Tile

LeonDuf_3-1672212255408.png

The Connection Configuration in Alteryx

LeonDuf_4-1672212255414.png

Part of the Alteryx script where I'm using the Browse tile to check the data

LeonDuf_6-1672212660182.png

After running the Alteryx script to retrieve the BW data, the description of the Bill To Party is shown as below. The quote has been replace by "'". Why? This is very strange. UTF-8 conversion missing somewhere?

LeonDuf_8-1672213169334.png

If something is not clear then please reach out to me. Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Leon

LeonDuf
5 - Atom

Hi All,

Problem has been solved. Ingrid from DVW Analytics provided the settings below. Thanks Ingrid.

LeonDuf_0-1672230570620.png

I also set the below "Split" filter options to "True" and now the quotes are visible.

LeonDuf_1-1672230681557.png

Mchappell67
9 - Comet

Hi, Leon -

Glad they were able to help you out.  I've always found them VERY responsive; I usually get a response/contact on the same day that I raise an issue/question.  I've had multiple working sessions with many members of their organization, including the founders and the development leads.  Really a top-notch organization and product.  I wish I had known of Alteryx+DVW when we moved to SAP in 2019 - could have saved time and money by using one platform instead of multiple for our data needs.

Just FYI - the "split" option shouldn't have an impact on how data is displayed.  The "split" only impacts how many times the database is called to reduce the overall resource usage of a single call.  For example, I have this filter setup on a BW Read object:

Mchappell67_0-1672241248511.png

If "Split" was "False", it would make a single call to the database, which results in an "out of memory" error (in our case/environment).  By calling the DB in 6 smaller chunks, all works OK.

Mark

Labels