Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

S3 upload - dynamic update of object name

alt19790525
6 - Meteoroid

I have read few discussions on this but did not find an optimal way to update the object name when uploading to s3 bucket. Does anyone have an non-macro solution for this?

11 REPLIES 11
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The batch macro really is the way to go for this. It's a straightforward macro, and seems less complex to me than other solutions like sending arguments into the Python tool using boto3. 

alt19790525
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Charlie,

Do you have an example/workflow showing the macro? Let me know.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Do you have some example data you can share? I'd be happy to build an example macro to get you started. 

alt19790525
6 - Meteoroid

Charlie,

Flow is like SQL table data > Upload to S3 using S3 upload connector. I am using sample data like below for this example if you would like. Or any data would be fine. The only issue I am having is to update the object name in the S3 upload connector when I am running the workflow multiple times. As you know it would replace the file in S3 every time I run. Instead of that I would like to append a date to the Object name so that it will create a new file everytime I run instead of replacing the existing file.

NO NAME ROLE
1 aaaa developer
2 bbbb qa
3 cccc business
4 dddd ste
5 eeee tester
6 ffff po
7 gggg bsa

Rohit3
5 - Atom

I am also looking for a similar solution.. i want datetime to be appended and new file needs to created everytime in S3..tried all possible ways no luck..Any suggestions would help.

Rohit3
5 - Atom

Have a similar problem and any solution would be greatly appreciated.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @alt19790525 , sorry this took so long. 

I've attached an example workflow that shows how a batch macro could be used to update the S3 Object name from your workflow. I've also added a Formula tool to append today's date to the Objects name as requested by @Rohit3

20200213-S3Objects.png

Check it out and let me know what you think. 

Rohit3
5 - Atom

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for below details..

I do not see formula that appends todays date to object while uploading to S3.

Can you please tell me where exactly this has been written in workflow.

Regards

Rohit

alt19790525
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Charlie it worked. Appreciate your help.

Labels