Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

S3 upload - dynamic update of object name

alt19790525
6 - Meteoroid

I have read few discussions on this but did not find an optimal way to update the object name when uploading to s3 bucket. Does anyone have an non-macro solution for this?

11 REPLIES 11
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The batch macro really is the way to go for this. It's a straightforward macro, and seems less complex to me than other solutions like sending arguments into the Python tool using boto3. 

alt19790525
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Charlie,

Do you have an example/workflow showing the macro? Let me know.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Do you have some example data you can share? I'd be happy to build an example macro to get you started. 

alt19790525
6 - Meteoroid

Charlie,

Flow is like SQL table data > Upload to S3 using S3 upload connector. I am using sample data like below for this example if you would like. Or any data would be fine. The only issue I am having is to update the object name in the S3 upload connector when I am running the workflow multiple times. As you know it would replace the file in S3 every time I run. Instead of that I would like to append a date to the Object name so that it will create a new file everytime I run instead of replacing the existing file.

NO NAME ROLE
1 aaaa developer
2 bbbb qa
3 cccc business
4 dddd ste
5 eeee tester
6 ffff po
7 gggg bsa

Rohit3
5 - Atom

I am also looking for a similar solution.. i want datetime to be appended and new file needs to created everytime in S3..tried all possible ways no luck..Any suggestions would help.

Rohit3
5 - Atom

Have a similar problem and any solution would be greatly appreciated.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @alt19790525 , sorry this took so long. 

I've attached an example workflow that shows how a batch macro could be used to update the S3 Object name from your workflow. I've also added a Formula tool to append today's date to the Objects name as requested by @Rohit3

20200213-S3Objects.png

Check it out and let me know what you think. 

Rohit3
5 - Atom

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for below details..

I do not see formula that appends todays date to object while uploading to S3.

Can you please tell me where exactly this has been written in workflow.

Regards

Rohit

alt19790525
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Charlie it worked. Appreciate your help.

Labels