We have extended our Early Bird Tickets for Inspire 2023! Discounted pricing goes until February 24th. Save your spot!

Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer and Intelligence Suite.

S3 External Buckets

SME_Steve
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I'm trying to setup Alteryx to access a subfolder within a private External Bucket in S3 that we've been granted access to.

Using S3 browser I can connect and access the External Bucket and folder. I've also manually uploaded a csv file to our folder within the bucket.

In Alteryx I've added an S3 Download component, entered the access key and secret key.

I don't have 'list all buckets' permission so the '...' buttons don't work. Instead I've entered the bucket name and path into the Bucket Name and the file name into the Object Name.

Immediately I receive an AWS:Access Denied error.

The way that the company have setup S3 is to have a single bucket for all global IT teams and then for each team to have access to their own folder within the bucket. I'm unable to browse the bucket at root so always need to provide the full path:

ie : <bucketname>/sme-uk-it/

Does Alteryx allow this type of access to S3? If not, any ideas for working around it? We have some data sets to load into Redshift and standard inserts run so slow as to be prohibitive so we were hoping to utilise the bulk loading features for Redshift.

Thanks in advance

Steve.

3 REPLIES 3
AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @SME_Steve!

Unfortunately, the Amazon S3 Download doesn't support the kind of access you're describing, but you may be able to have a very specific set of user-level permissions added by your S3 admin that would allow you to use it. Here is a good resource page on this process. I believe that you can specify this down to the folder level, and that you can get access to "list buckets" and browse the root level of that bucket while still being unable to actually access or load in anything outside of your folder.

Here's an example of a permission set (you may have to play with this a little bit):

{
"Version": "2012-10-17",
"Statement": [
{
"Effect": "Allow",
"Action": "s3:ListAllMyBuckets",
"Resource": "arn:aws:s3:::*"
},
{
"Action": [
"s3:ListBucket",
"s3:GetBucketLocation"
],
"Resource": "arn:aws:s3:::<bucketname>"
},
{
"Action": [
"s3:GetObject"
],
"Resource": "arn:aws:s3:::<bucketname>/sme-uk-it/*"
}
]
}

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Alex Koszycki
Program Manager, Community Platform
SME_Steve
7 - Meteor

Hi Alex,

Thanks for this.

I've passed your comment to our S3 admins to see what they come up with.

cheers

Steve.

ShaneWang2018
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, Alex

I have a different error when trying S3 buckets, I can see objects but alteryx returns this 

Error: Amazon S3 Download (1): Error from AWS: Authorization header is invalid -- one and only one ' ' (space) required

Any suggestion?

Regards

Shane

Labels