Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Don't forget to submit your entry for the Excellence Awards by October 30! | Need more information about the program? Check out the blog here

Running macro to provide input to workflow

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I have a use case where I am using a macro (which can be used in multiple workflows) to generate a formatted excel file using table and render tool.

Now I need to run this macro file and save its output in a folder. This saved output needs to be used as an input in another workflow.

Please suggest how to do this?

Thanks,

Rachana 

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Dear All,

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

Rachana 

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi Rachana, could you elaborate further on your process? Is the ask to have all subsequent workflows read the formatted excel file being output from the first workflow? If yes, one approach could be to have your first workflow output the formatted excel file to a dedicated folder in your shared drive and have the second workflow read all files in this folder using the Directory tool and consume all the excel files at one go.

Let us know if this isn't what you are looking for.

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi Abhilash,

Thanks for response.

As you suggested if  I create separate workflows 1,2, second workflow has dependency on the output of first.

So is there any way I can run these workflows sequentially from alteryx gallery.

Regards,

Rachana 

Highlighted

Hi Rachana, Alteryx has a concept of chained workflows to run workflows sequentially. The following Community article should serve as a good starting point to learn more about it: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Chaining-Workflows-Together/ta-p/3857....

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi Abhilash,

Thanks a lot for providing the useful article. 

I have gone through it and as I will uploading workflows to Alteryx Gallery, I understand the only suitable way is to convert the workflows to analytic app and then use interface designer.

So, I followed below steps -

1. Converted workflow 1 to analytic app - which contains workflow and event to run .vbs file after run

2. In the interface designer set the workflow 2 (converted to analytic app) to run after workflow 1

But only workflow 1 and .vbs script runs and then I need to manually run workflow 2. I am not sure what I am doing wrong and cannot share the screenshot or workflow here.

Could you please help with detailed steps in my scenario.

Thanks a lot,

Rachana 

Labels