Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Running but unreachable Alteryx Window...

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

I guess there is a new type of Bug iin Alteryx 11.7

Sometimes when more than 1 instance is open I cannot reach to the other Alteryx screen in any case.

I check from Taskman and it doesn't say it's not responding.

Non responsive but running Alteryx instanceNon responsive but running Alteryx instance

When you try to close the screen off It shows you a Save As screen that you cannot OK or Cancel or anything, a non responsive save screen. In this time span Alteryx is still running and is not in "not responding" status.

Buggy screen 2Buggy screen 2

Here is the Alteryx version we are running...

VersionVersion

8 REPLIES 8
lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Atabarezz

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  I have run two instances of the program but not reproduced this behavior.  I am curious about a couple of things:  Why do you run multiple instances of the program rather than using multiple tabs in a single instance?  What version were you running prior to your 11.7 upgrade?  Can you be more specific about what steps you or I could take to reproduce this behavior?

If you would be willing to correspond with us to completely define the conditions under which this occurs, we would be pleased to work with you.  Contact us at support@alteryx.com to open a case.

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Sounds just like the bug that existed back in 10.1

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

Lisa Thanks for getting back,

• When I use multiple tabs and Alteryx halts, I loose all the work.
  • That is why I use two separate instances of Alteryx.

Previous version was 11.5

• then we have upgraded to 11.7
  • both runs on Server OS.

If I run an instance and there is no change in any of the workflows but somehow the window does not respond I try shut-downing Alteryx thru the X icon. And then this window for saving changed workflows appear.

but actually there is no change in the workflows there happens to be a blank box...

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

Same issue existed on 10.1?

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@Atabarezz  Yes, literally the exact same issue was in 10.1.7.12188 .  I experienced it daily on that version.

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Atabarezz  @patrick_mcauliffe

I found Patrick's old case.  It did have some useful information in that the freezing occurred after multiple instances of Alteryx were left idle overnight.  Unfortunately the nature of the bug and the resolution were not included in the case documentation.  I'll try leaving a few instances open overnight and possibly into the weekend.  If you have other recommendations for reproducing this error, please pass them on.

Lisa LePome
Alteryx, Inc.
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@lepome  Awesome! (But not really about the bug...)  Glad my case could help.

There actually wasn't a resolution to it.  The bug only went away when updating to the next release.  We collected dozens of logs and never found what caused it.  

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Atabarezz

I cannot reproduce this behavior.  If you encounter it again and have logs you can supply that would shed light on what is going on when it occurs, please do share them directly with support@alteryx.com.

Lisa LePome
Alteryx, Inc.
Labels