Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Running a flow

Xandro
6 - Meteoroid

Dear Alteryx users

I have a question about running a flow. I have a flow that use closed data and snapshot data.The closed data is updated once a month and the snapshot data is updated every day.  How can I run the flow without running every day the closed data but only the snapshot data?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Best regards

Xandro 

9 REPLIES 9
paulfound
11 - Bolide

Hi @Xandro,

I think you need a Tool Container, you'll find it under the Documentation menu at the top. 

These allow you to separate your flow and turn off sections of  it. 

PaulFound_0-1573461352634.png

Xandro
6 - Meteoroid

Dear Paul

Thanks for your reply. Using the toolbox will stop the flow for running, but the problem by using the toolbox is, that no data is running through the flow with the closed data. In the flow I have two connections to the ODBC database (two different datamarts (one for closed data and one for snapshot data)). One is closed data (from Dec-2018 to Sep-30-2019) and one is for last Friday, Nov-8-2019. I disabled the first flow (closed data). After running I only receive the data from the snapshot data (Nov-8-2019). What I want to achieve is, that the closed data is also in the output file if I only run the snapshot data, because the closed data I already have downloaded last month.

Best regards

Xandro

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Xandro ,

I think what you need for this case in particular are from the developer tools the detour and detour end.

You can use them to have your data flow only once a month though the processing branch and the rest of the days just unprocessed throught the other.

Untitled2.png

When you click on the detour tool you can switch there which one would you like to use.

It is also easily configurable on a macro with interaction tools.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

Xandro
6 - Meteoroid

Dear Alteryx partner

Thanks for your reply. The detour tool doesn't work with the Connect in DB tool (there is no connection possible). I will investigate further, for now Thanks for all the replies.

Best regards

Xandro

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Well if you are doing the process using in DB tools you could also filter the data with date values, using the filter tool as a detour tool.

If you write there something like:

1=2

All the data will flow through the false value, and writing 1=1 will flow everything though the True branch.

You could establish a similar rule using dates in case you run always process the information on the same date.

Regards

Xandro
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for your reply.

The ultimate goal for not running the flow is to save run time. At this moment the run time is about 35 minutes. What I would like to achieve with not running the closed data (run time 33 minutes) is to shorten the run time to 3 minutes (run time for snapshot data). 

If I would use the detour tools, does this mean that the run time is reduced to 3 minutes?

Best regards

Xandro 

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Xandro ,

I would need to see your workflow to confirm it at least. What I can confirm you is that if you have on one branch of the detour tool all the processing and on the other you bypass this process then sure, your workflow will need much less time to process all the information.

Regards

Xandro
6 - Meteoroid

Please see attached the flow (not all of the flow but part of the flow). I can't send you the original, because of sensitive information. How would you connect the detour tools?

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Thank you @Xandro ,

Helped me to give you a solution to your problem.

What I did here whas create an app thas chooses the data origin. When you don need to update the data this will be loaded from a yxdb which has all the information you did already process. If you need to update the data you just need to click on the check box, this will update the yxdb and disable the other data input, preventing it from getting duplicated data.

Untitled2.png

Regards

Labels