Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Running a download api and getting chunk data - how to handle that?

Archaeopteryx
10 - Fireball

Hi,

I run an API which in turn delivers a download API URL with an ID code at the end:

https://api.{environment}/api/v2/downloads/{  8 digit alpha-numeric code }

Running the above downloads API URL in Postman delivers comma delimited headers and data. When I try to run this in Alteryx and deliver it to a document, I receive an error message about 'chunk' data and DownloadHeaders has "HTTP/1.1 303 See OtherTransfer-Encoding: chunkedConnection: ...". 

How would I guide this output to a .csv on my computer? 

5 REPLIES 5
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Have you clicked the "Code" button in Postman to see the cURL equivalent code? There may be additional requirements in what the API is executing. Checking this code will help you confirm if you have all of the appropriate elements configured in the download tool. 

Archaeopteryx
10 - Fireball

Hi Brandon

I got the download to work in Alteryx, but, the delivery is not all there, and the column headers do not align with their respective column data. I'm going to go ahead and close this thread and see if I can get a neat, clean delivery of the data in Alteryx. I may post another thread if I cannot clean up the data. 

Thank you,

Chris

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Normally the data will return as JSON or CSV depending on the API and you can use the parsing tools to properly format. The download data column will have the data within it. 

Archaeopteryx
10 - Fireball

It's coming down as literal csv. Looks great in Postman. It gets convoluted in the Alteryx output. The lost data I found by happenstance - - it was all crammed in cell B1 along with the headers. I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with that, but I'll do what I can. Yes, it's in the downloaddata column as you say. Alteryx tries valiantly to normalize it in a .csv file. I'll keep working with it. I may have to consult with others. 

thank you,

Chris

Archaeopteryx
10 - Fireball

Brandon,

Well, we figured it out. In the Output tool, we set Quote Output Fields to "never", and, set the delimiters to pipe "|" delimiters, and the data exported normalized all appropriately aligned. There are a couple of errant characters, and just a couple, in the first column's header, but that's easily remedied. 

Thank you,

Chris

Labels