Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Running Total/Record ID using In-DB tools?

zachwalz
7 - Meteor

Hi all--

I have some ETL processes that use In-DB tools. I use Redshift, so taking the data out and putting it back in can be a process (you have to send to S3, then staging, then production tables).

In an orders table, I'm trying to create a field that identifies the customer's order #. The value would be 1 for their first order, 2 for their second, etc. To do this using standard tools, I sort by date, create a dummy field that only has "1" in it, and do a running total grouped on customer ID.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to recreate this using In-DB tools?

Thanks

-Zach

3 REPLIES 3
JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@zachwalz Look at bringing the following SQL expression into the Formula in-db tool.

rank() over (partition by CustomerID order by Date asc)

This will do a new transaction count for each customer - with 1 starting at the earliest transaction for each CustID.

zachwalz
7 - Meteor

Ahhhh you're the best... I knew it was easier than I was making it out to be. Thanks, Joe!

aman_goyal492
5 - Atom

Thanks for the great post. I am also trying to union some fake records in the In DB workflow. How to do that can some one please tell me?

Labels