Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Running Individual Nodes or Tools

kwkeb
7 - Meteor

Is there a way in Alteryx to run individual tool? I've realized that every time I "add" a tool on an existing workflow and run it, Alteryx runs the entire workflow. Is there a way to run tool I've just added, without running everything? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
With version 10 came browse everywhere. Every tool maintains 1 Mb of data from each output anchor. The concept of caching data has been suggested where all upstream tools are skipped once a tool is set as a cache point.

If I'm looking to emulate that today, I will either browse (and then save the output) or output data and start a new workflow reading the last saved set of data.

One day, this might be an enhancement.
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Cache-Option-on-Every-Tool/idi-p/14978

Cheers,
Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
kwkeb
7 - Meteor

Hi MarqueeCrew,

I am not sure if my question is actually answered. Per what you said, I'm getting the message that Alteryx does not support running individual nodes at the moment. I'm I correct?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Correct

Sent from my iPhone
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
alex
11 - Bolide

Same concept that @MarqueeCrew described but with a visual aid.  Not the answer you are looking for but will save time and frustration.dis2.JPGdis.JPG

NickDuncan
7 - Meteor

Hi kwkeb,

In order to do that, Alteryx flow would need to store all the data up to that tool, either in memory or on disk, which would not be great for overall performance. Especially if it's replicating the cache for -every- tool. There are other programs that have that functionality, and I think they're much slower as a result.

A much better option is to use the cache dataset tool.

Simply drop it ahead of any tool that you wish to run the workflow from, run once to cache, and then select 'read from temp file' to run the workflow from that tool every time.

Labels