Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Running Alteryx Designer on a Citrix Server?

vizandy
7 - Meteor

Hello Everyone!

I have a user that wants to put Alteryx designer on a citrix server to utilize.  Does anybody know if thats appropriate via Alteryx's standard terms?  

7 REPLIES 7
dataMack
12 - Quasar

This is probably a question you'll want to ask your account rep or support@alteryx.com so you can get down to specifics.

I'm not familiar with Citrix specifically, but Alteryx does work fine in VM environments such as MS Azure.  In fact, they have a build of Designer in the Azure VM marketplace.

Since Designer is ususally licensed on a machine-specific basis, that could potentially cause you problems depending on how your Citrix is configured

vizandy
7 - Meteor

Thanks Jason.  I agree with you - regarding the machine specific licensing.  Deep down, I knew they were the right ones to ask, but I definitely appreciate your feedback.  We just subscribed to MS Azure and I wasnt aware that Designer was available there...  Thanks!!

vizandy
7 - Meteor

Here is the answer that I received from Support: 

"Thank you for reaching out to us. I am not currently aware of any particular restrictions regarding deployment to Citrix environments, and I am aware of some customers utilizing Alteryx deployed with Citrix technologies. However, please keep in mind that we do not currently test either Alteryx Designer or Alteryx Server on Citrix platforms and as such support for those deployments would be limited. You also have potential licensing complications to consider as we currently issue licenses on a per seat basis. These licenses/seats are intended to be registered to a single workstation and user per seat, and you may encounter complications with this licensing model depending on your specific Citrix integration/deployment."

Seems like its okay, as long as it works and you arent abusing your licensing.

Greg_Murray
12 - Quasar

@vizandy did you end up implementing in a citrix environment? We are looking to do the same and were wondering how it worked out for you (pitfalls, pain points, etc.).

Greg

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

One thing to keep in mind here is that using non-persistent VDIs cannot work. 

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
stuartpollicott
6 - Meteoroid

We run it in 2016 RDS no problem at all.  Do the NONAdmin install, as this then uses the users profile for worksing space etc.  We utilise UPDs and we have a share available for a data repository.  TO get over licensing, or ensuring I control usage, we have used App Locker via group poilcy, all built in and working just fine.  I mix both Alteryx Designer (8 designers) users and Tableau Desktop (20 desktop) users on a 2 node collection.

ivanzaher
5 - Atom

stuartpollicott,

Would you be able to spare few minutes to assist us in getting it set up on Windows Terminal Server.  You can email me directly at izaher@dom.edu

Ivan Zaher

Labels