Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Run workflow without having to read files (Input) each time

jcyc
7 - Meteor

I'm pretty new to Alteryx and I was just wondering if it even has the capability to run a workflow without having to read the input tool each and every time. I ask because some files could get large i.e. multiple .txt files >2GB. 

I find myself having to rerun the workflow because my methodology evolves as I work through the data. It's not like I am changing the source files at all.

3 REPLIES 3
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

If you are working in 2018.3 then there is a new 'cache' feature which you can use, simply right click on your input tool and hit 'cache and run'. It will have to run your workflow once to generate the cache.

If you are working pre 2018.3 then I advice you write your data from a txt file to a .yxdb file which is significantly faster. You should then use this as your input (this is essentially what the cache does, but in a non-fancy way).

This will give you performance improvement during the development phase of your project.

Alternatively take a sample of the records by setting a record limit in the input data tool.

Ben

tcroberts
12 - Quasar

Yes! If you look at the Input Data tool, there should be a field in the configuration options that says "Cache Data' (it's the fourth one I believe, at least for ODBC connections). This will store the data the first time you run it, and then not re-read the data while you're in designer.

Is this what you were looking for?

jcyc
7 - Meteor

Unfortunately I am running a pre 2018.3 version :/

Thank you for your time explaining this Ben. Much appreciated.

Labels