Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Run workflow and store output in multiple excel files based on groups?

madhurinani
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

Below is my input

GroupCostBalance Left
A16
A28
A33
A44
B56
B61
B73
B89
C93
C106
C112
D123
D131

I want to run the workflow for Group A and the o/p should be all the columns as well as Cost-Balance Left column added.The output should be stored in an excel file.

Then the workflow should again run for Group B and then that output should be stored in a new excel file.

Do I need to create a batch marco for that?

The input file would be through the File Browse tool, hence it would be an Analytic App

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

You may not need a macro, depending on the details of how you want your data stream processed.   Should all data be processed the same, just the output going to a different Excel file or sheet?  If yes, you can "burst" output to separate Excel files/sheets using only the Output Data tool.

Take a look at the Output Data Tool Mastery article:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Output-Data/ta-p/30023

specifically, try out the checkbox for 'Take File/Table Name from Field'

You can tick the 'Take File/Table Name from Field' and adjust the drop down menu to output to different files or sheets. For any file format other than Excel you can use the 'Change File/Table Name' to output to different files. For Excel, this same option will output to different sheets, however if you want to output to different Excel files you will need to add a formula tool and use 'Change Entire File Path' option in the dropdown menu. 

Search this Community forum for "separate Excel files" or "separate sheets"

Chris

madhurinani
8 - Asteroid

@ChrisTX :

Yes. All the data can be processed at the same time, just to different excel files.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@madhurinani One way of doing this with the batch macro

binuacs_0-1665085217558.png

@madhurinani , it can be done with a formula tool instead of a batch macro as well. See my attached example (you'll need to update the file path in the formula). 

michelle_mathews_0-1665085432871.png

madhurinani
8 - Asteroid

@michelle_mathews : Can i avoid the File Path column that shows in the output excel file? I dont want that to be displayed in the excel file.

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

the Output Data Tool Mastery article:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Output-Data/ta-p/30023

mentions 'Keep Field in Output' will keep the filename as a field. De-select to keep your output data the same as the end of your workflow

@madhurinani , check out @ChrisTX 's answer. You can just unselect the box that says 'keep field in output'

michelle_mathews_0-1665500439306.png

Labels