Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Run same workflow with inputs from different tab in an excel

E_Liang
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Experts,

I am new to Alteryx.  I am working on a workflow where I have multiple mapping table centrally stored in an excel (e.g. one mapping in one tab).  These mapping tables are similar in nature but with different numbers of columns, and I would like to process them with the same set of tasks and macro (e.g. run mapping1 first with the workflow, and then run mapping 2 with the same workflow, etc). 

Instead of copying the same workflow multiple times, I would like to tap to everyone's expertise to make it more streamline. Appreciate your help.

thank you.

E.

MAPPING.xlsx.jpgMapping_Sample.yxmc_.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @E_Liang,

As it looks like you are comfortable in making a batch macro, that would be my recommendation for this task you are looking to complete.

If you convert the process you have shown below into a batch macro and as the control parameter pass through the sheet name and then update that within the Input tool.

You can then use this batch macro in a separate workflow and pass through all the sheet names you need to process.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

Joe

E_Liang
6 - Meteoroid

hi Joe,

Thank you for the valuable advice. 

I have tried to package my original workflow as a batch macro.  And since control parameter could not be place directly to an macro input, I have added a dynamic input.  Also, I have tried created a separate workflow to call this batch macro, but it returns with an error in my dynamic input, not sure what I have done wrong. Appreciate your further assistant.

Thank you very much

E

Multiple_input_sheet_flow_.jpgmultiple_tabs.yxmc.jpg

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @E_Liang,

WIthin your batch macro you do not need to have the mapping workbook as a Macro Input.

You can have it as a standard tool and use the control parameter to update the part you need :-)

I hope that helps.

Joe

E_Liang
6 - Meteoroid

hi Joe,

Thank you very much for your advise.  I am now able to get through.

Thank you.

Eric

Praveen29
5 - Atom

Hi Eric,

Would you be able to attach your workflow or send a screenshot?

I'm facing the same problem but I can't seem to get it to work.

Kind regards,

Prav

E_Liang
6 - Meteoroid

hi Prav, 

we end up wrote a batch macro.  please see attached to see whether it helps your case.

let me know if you still other question.

regards,

Eric

ropra
7 - Meteor

Hey E_Liang

I am new to macros and have been trying to learn it. I have the same problem fo repeating the same process for multiple sheets of an excel file. Actually it is 50+. I have to create an alteryx workflow for each sheet. It would be great if you could explain your way, in a more detailed manner. I know you would be super busy, let me know if you get any time. I tried downloading your workflows and tried to understand it, but wasn't able to do so.

Hoping for a reply.

Cheers,

Rohit

Labels