Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Run Command tools not running in parallel

slypig
5 - Atom

My workflow executes 12 Run Command tools. Each command is a simple call to powershell to retrieve the list of users in an Active Directory group.

An example of the command run by the tool: "powershell get-adgroupmember -identity myADgroupname > C:\raw_ADGroup.txt"

Everything has been functioning fine with the workflow but it takes a long time to execute. When I watch the execution I see only one Run Command active at a time. Is there something I can do to enable multiple Run Commands to execute in parallel?

Thanks!

slypig_0-1606159204572.png

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @slypig 

If you had all your run command tools running simultaneously, wouldn't the .txt file get overwritten? Rather than having 12 Run Command tools, have you though of having 1 Run Command Tool and 12 lines / cmdlets. You'd have to update your expression to use ">>" rather than ">" and read then read in the full list. Not sure if this would work, but worth a try and would tidy up the workflow somewhat.

slypig
5 - Atom

Hi Philip,

Thanks for reaching out, it's much appreciated.

I'm using a separate .txt file for each Run Command so there's no risk of one Run Command overwriting another's file. 

Were you thinking that all commands could be run in parallel from a single Run Command? I.E. the command that is run would be a script that spawns separate processes for each current Run Command?

Thanks,

John 

Labels