Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Run Command on Success- Error

JMart2135
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am trying to get a couple of workflows set up to run in sequence. I did some research and found an article in which the CREW Macro was not recommended or supported by Alteryx to run on the server. I also read up on this post which gives instructions on filling out the workflow events ("after run") using C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxEngineCmd.exe and additional command arguments pointing to my file. 

After setting up my event per the instructions in the link, I get the following error:

Error: Designer x64: The Designer x64 reported: Error running Event #2: The external program "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxEngineCmd.exe" returned an error code: 2: The operation completed successfully. (0)

Therefore the second workflow is never triggered. I initially tried doing this as a chained app, however still doesn't seem that chained apps can run silent since my chained app setup only worked when I ran it manually and I need this to run scheduled on the server.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

18 REPLIES 18
JMart2135
8 - Asteroid

I can try publishing it to the server and then running it to see what happens. if my db table updates then ill know it worked. I did read something about that automation license but i am not sure if i have that or not.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

That has to be it.  I just tried the exact same modules on my server with the exact same locations (C:\users\mbarone\Desktop) and it worked fine.  I know there was some back and forth a while ago about allowing run command executions with a base license vs. with either Server or Desktop Automation license.  They must have ended up on the "only with server/desktop automation" side.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

To test, you could set up your initial module with a text input tool with "test" as the data.  That can be yxmd_1.yxmd.  And then set up yxmd_2.yxmd to be the same thing (dummy text input tool) and connect it to a message tool, and have the message be "IT WORKED".  Then code yxmd_1.yxmd to execute yxmd_2.yxmd after completion.  Then when you check the logs to see if it worked, you should see the log for that second one with a line of code that shows "IT WORKED".

JMart2135
8 - Asteroid

I tried using my existing workflows since i dont have access to the server logs. I confirmed the path to the Altertyx Engine CMD file with our server admin. I now get a different error running on the server.

• Error running Event #2: The external program "E:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxEngineCmd.exe" returned an error code: 2: The system could not find the environment option that was entered. (203)

Wondering if i need to work with the server admin to try this?

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Worth a shot.  At least we now know that it is working on the server, so it must be that on the desktop you need the automation license.  I think I did have to do that Environment thing when we first set it up (I do have C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin in the path settings).  However, it appears that your path is E:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin, so you might have to enter that. Can you confirm with your admin that they put the engine command on the E:\ drive and not the C:\ drive?  I left mine on the C:\ , added the path, and everything worked fine.  Never tried it with an E:\ drive though.

JMart2135
8 - Asteroid

Yes i reached out to my admin to verify the path and he said it was installed on the E drive. Ill try and set up some time with him to try and work through the link instructions. I appreciate all of your help with this. Really wish the analytic apps would work with the scheduler.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

No problem at all.  That would make my life easier as well!

JMart2135
8 - Asteroid

@mbarone so it turned out i needed to also follow the instructions here  to get the setup in the run command screen completed with the server controller ID and location. Doing this got rid of the error i had, however the second flow still didnt run. So hoping to troubleshoot that further with my server admins

vaughangary
8 - Asteroid

I think you need a scheduler license to run command line on desktop.  Alternatively, using the CREW runner macros might be an option.

Labels