Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Run Command on Success- Error

JMart2135
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am trying to get a couple of workflows set up to run in sequence. I did some research and found an article in which the CREW Macro was not recommended or supported by Alteryx to run on the server. I also read up on this post which gives instructions on filling out the workflow events ("after run") using C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxEngineCmd.exe and additional command arguments pointing to my file. 

After setting up my event per the instructions in the link, I get the following error:

Error: Designer x64: The Designer x64 reported: Error running Event #2: The external program "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxEngineCmd.exe" returned an error code: 2: The operation completed successfully. (0)

Therefore the second workflow is never triggered. I initially tried doing this as a chained app, however still doesn't seem that chained apps can run silent since my chained app setup only worked when I ran it manually and I need this to run scheduled on the server.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

18 REPLIES 18
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I believe error code 2 usually is a file is not found.  Since it's on your server, have you set up both modules inputs/outputs as full UNC paths?  Also, do you know where your engine logs are stored (mine are "W:\Program Files\Alteryx\AppLogFiles") - you can find yours (if set) in the Server Settings, Engine "General" section.

That way you'll see the full logs of both the first module and the second one.  But again, I'd be surprised if it wasn't something to do with the Server not being able to access a certain file due to either it doesn't have permissions, or it's not set to a full UNC path.

JMart2135
8 - Asteroid

@mbarone  I haven't tried it on the server yet, i was just trying to get it to run locally before i even pushed it to the server. Figured if i could get it running locally then i would work the paths once i publish to the server. I went to the filepath manually to ensure that it was correct and not just copy/pasted from the example page.

The workflow was already running on the server correctly aside from the second flow i am trying to trigger. So really just trying to get the command line step to run correctly once the workflow is complete.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I see.  What's the configuration of your Event look like?

JMart2135
8 - Asteroid

@mbarone This is a screenshot of the setup that gives the error i mention in the original post. the file i am trying to run is located on a network share that i have access to as well as the server service accounts. 

trigger run command.jpg

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Well that set up looks fine.  Only thing I can possibly think of trying next is to up that timeout.  I always set it to something large, like 24000.  Although that would throw a different error if that's the cause.

Even on your desktop, you can set a logging directory as indicated earlier.  Try that, and check the logs - there should be two - one from the initial module, and one from the second one.  Those logs should indicate more than the original error. 

JMart2135
8 - Asteroid

I tried enabling the logging in the settings and its not liking that. It wont let me "finish" in the menu after i enabled it

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Ah; I apologize.  I'm thinking server again.  For plain old designer desktop, in designer, go to options, user settings.  It's on the first tab (Defaults).  I created my own directory to be easy to get to:

2022-03-09 10_50_17-User Settings.png

JMart2135
8 - Asteroid

Of the two logs that get produced, one is the same that shows in Alteryx. The second (I am assuming is the workflow I am trying to trigger with the run command) produces the following log results. 

Started running [Unnamed Module] at Wed Mar 9 12:42:35 2022
00:00:00.768 - ToolId 3: Number of records read: 0
00:00:00.823 - ToolId 6: Number of records read: 0
Finished in 00:00:00.831

I ran the second workflow manually and it does produce results from tool 3/6 so not sure why its saying 0 records are read. 

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Well I'm stumped. I just tried it on my own laptop, and I get the same error.  They might have changed the licensing to not allow Alteryx to run from a command line unless you have Server, or Desktop Automation.  Are you able to remote into your server and try it there (with the module/files living on the server itself)?

Labels