community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Run Command Tool with Python

Highlighted
Meteor

Hello Everyone,

I am currently on a project to convert a series of python scripts to Alteryx. While going through the scripts I have realized that part of the python is reading colors from the excel sheets I need to read in Alteryx.  After doing some research I know it isn't possible to read colors from excel sheets in Alteryx due to the source formatting getting dropped off after input. I do know I could use the run command tool where I can input the current python script into, but the configuration of the tool is throwing me off and it doesn't seem to be working. If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Justin

Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

Not strictly true.

If you open your .xlsx file as a zip archive (from within Alteryx), you can access the underlying metadata where cell colours are defined. I'm actually working on creating a macro to achieve this but that is far from complete.

Take a look at this post which outlines a starting point.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Preparation-Blending/Extract-Hyperlink/m-p/160028/highlight/fa...

This will basically be doing what your python script is doing.

Unfortunately I can't help with the execution of the python script if you wish to continue in that direction as it's beyond my knowledge base. 

Ben

Ben, that's wonderfully tricky, thanks for that technique!

Meteor

Thank you, I will look into that, the other thing i forgot to mention though is that I am on a time crunch, so it would probably be easier to go with the python script for now since it is already working. Just need to figure out how to configure the tool.

Thanks for you input. I appreciate it!

Asteroid

did you ever get this to work? I am going thru the same process that you described earlier. Any help would be great.

Thank you

Labels