Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Run Command - Input File Not Found

adm510
11 - Bolide

Hi All,

I'm a NB to Alteryx and am trying to run a VBScript and capture the output.  I've tested running the script from the command line and it works as expected. When I run it in Alteryx, it complains that the Read Results file doesn't exist.  The thing is, the file won't exist until after the command executes.

When I look at the Run Command documentation, it looks like they are doing the same thing.  They execute a command that then writes the results of the run command to a file, the file doesn't need to exist ahead of time.  (Let me know if my assumption is wrong, I don't have curl installed, so I can't actually test the example)

Attempted workarounds:

#1 - Creating an empty "Read Results" file as a placeholder gives me a different error ("Error opening C:\users\.....: no fields found")

#2 - Use a Text Input tool so I could remove the Read Results step, and then read it in at a later step.  When I did this, Alteryx overwrote my output file with the text from Text Input.

What is the proper way to run a command, wait for the command to finish, and then have Alteryx read the output of the file?

run.png

5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Try creating a field called "Dummy".  That helps me.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
adm510
11 - Bolide

Where should I create this dummy field?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
I read a file dummy.csv and have a record of: dummy

That should get you around the read.

Sent from my iPhone
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

When I want to run a vbs script with the Run Command, here is an example of a configuration that I use:

run command.png

I also ensure the .vbs file and the workflow (.yxmd/.yxmc) are in the same directory.

adm510
11 - Bolide

Thank you Joe! This solved the issue.  Now that I think about it, the stream to file argument ">" or append to file ">>" is a cmd argument, not cscript, which is why it was failing in Alteryx, but worked when I ran it directly in the command prompt window.

Labels