Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Run Command Either an Output connection or Input connection is required

zammar
7 - Meteor

Hello!

Thanks in advance for helping me figure this out. I can not get my head wrapped around why the optional output or input field are clearly marked as optional but the output of the Run Command generating the error below. Others on the team have noticed the same issue and were wondering the same..

In the screenshot below, this is batch file that changes the file name (and no, due to design/process issue, it can not be done in Alteryx)

How could that be and what is the logic behind it? Or what am I missing?

2019-07-09_14-04-29.png2019-07-09_14-06-00.png

3 REPLIES 3
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@zammar Great question! You have to have 1 of the 2 filled out (either a write source or read results). In cases like yours where it's not actually needed, the "simplest" thing to do is use a text input with 1 record and write that in the run command tool to something like %temp%delete.yxdb. That will write 1 record to a temp file to avoid the error you're experiencing.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
dnbShiner15
7 - Meteor

I love the suggestion and work around but can you please configure the Tool per your recommendation and upload a screenshot?  Alteryx newbie here so just trying to follow bouncing balls.  Thanks!

Labels