Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Run Command Configuration

kylemhabe
8 - Asteroid

Hello. This is my first time using the run command tool and I am having trouble with the configuration.

I am trying to use the run command tool to use the command prompt to copy a file and rename it so that I can output my the data from my workflow to the renamed file. 

I tested my code in the command prompt and it works as I would want:

copy "C:\Users\Mapping for Alteryx\test.xlsx" "C:\Users\Mapping for Alteryx\test2.xlsx" && rename "C:\Users\Mapping for Alteryx\test2.xlsx" "test5.xlsx"

I'm having trouble configuring the run command tool to successfully run this command when I run my workflow. The tool has no incoming or outgoing connections.

Thanks,

Kyle

4 REPLIES 4
MinaGO3
8 - Asteroid

Currently you have to either configure a write or read source to use the run command tool.
See here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Run-command-tool-questions/td-p/185613

It is also worth looking at running the script from a file versus within the command.2 configs.png

benakesh
12 - Quasar

Hi @kylemhabe ,

The run command tool  requires  write source and/or  read results  configured. 

In this example  we  write  source  i.e  build  batch file  .  

The configuration of batch file  is important  :  no delimiters (\0)  , quotes: never  . 

rc1.PNG

If there are errors  check  rc.bat   to make sure you can run it from command line .

The sample wf  writes  to rc.bat  and then  runs rc.bat .   I am using echo for testing and  any commands should work .

kylemhabe
8 - Asteroid

Thank you both so much for taking the time!

I used both of your responses in coming up with my working solution. This will be a huge help in my current and future workflows.

Best,

Kyle

Shaina1
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I'm working on converting an xlsb file on SP to an xlsx file in Alteryx. I'm using UNC path on the lines of \\sp004xxx\DavWWWRoot\sites2\yyyy\zzzz\Headcount Reports in the directory tool and using a vba script-screenshot attached below. I'm too clear on mechanics as I have gotten this workaround from someone. I have added the command ECHO %ERRORLEVEL% > error.txt in a separate text file-attaching screenshot.I have used the run command -attaching configuration for reference and I'm getting an error "Can not find script file "C:\Windows\ConvertToXLSB.vbs". Could anyone please guide me on what I need to do here. Thankyou

Labels