community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Row Styling Rules in Table Tool

Meteor

I have setup multiple Row Rules using the Table Tool to highlight rows for scenarios with duplicate records or records that are designated as "matches" based on another criteria.  Most of the time the rules are applied correctly and the rows are highlighted as I have outlined in the Row Styling Rules window.  However, there are some cases where my Row Rules are conflicting and Alteryx only applies one rule (even though both apply).  I know there is a way to override conflicting Per-Column Rules, but is there a way to prioritize different Row Rules?  I would like to be able to tell Alteryx to highlight one scenario over the other, but haven't been able to do that.

Alteryx Certified Partner

Did you try ordering the row rules top down? I am assuming Alteryx will action the rules ordered top down, much like Formulas.

Alteryx Certified Partner

In situations like this where there are many conflicting rules, I suggest creating formatting identifying variables before the Table tool. This makes your conditions, interactions, and priorities easier to troubleshoot. The rules in the Table tool are then based on very simple conditions (ex: [FillColor]=='Purple') and it's easier to keep track inside the Column/Row Rules windows. 

Otherwise, here's the rule hierarchy section from the documentation:

https://help.alteryx.com/2018.3/TableStyleRules.htm

Using rules effectively requires understanding which rules comes first, and which ones override other ones. When two rules intend to change different styles (one changing a font, and the other changing the font size, for example), it doesn't matter which one executes first. But when two rules both intend to change the same style, only one them will win. Rules are executed in the following order, with later rules overriding earlier rules.

• Default Table Settings have the lowest priority.
  • Per-Column Configurations
  • Row rule with only basic (non-formula) styles
  • Column rule with only basic styles
  • Row rule with only basic styles with the override checkbox selected
  • Row rule with formula styles
  • Column rule with formula styles
  • Row rule with formula styles with the override checkbox selected

Here is another way to look at this.

• Formula styles always take precedence over non-formula (basic) styles.
  • Column rules usually take precedence over row rules, unless the row rule explicitly has its "override column rules" checkbox checked.
  • Rules take precedence over the per-column and default table settings.
  • Multiple rules of a given type (row or column, basic or formula) execute in the order they are listed in the rule editor.
Labels