Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Row Level Sorting

JonathanRichey
7 - Meteor

Is it possible to sort at a row level? The current tab shows how my data is structured, the need tab is my solution. Is this possible to do a row level sort starting with Teacher1 through Teacher10 in Alteryx?

Current:

StudentTeacher 1Teacher 2Teacher 3Teacher 4Teacher 5Teacher 6Teacher 7Teacher 8Teacher 9Teacher 10
BobAMANDAMINDYPATRICKMICHAELPAULALISONMILACHRISTOPHESTEPHENMADELYN
BillCELESTINAERICBROOKEAYOTUNDEANDREAJONATHANAIDANAUREAALBANETTESTEPHEN
ErickKEVINMCGWIREJOHNELLJOSEPHALEXAGARYBRICEDEENADOUGLASMONIQUE
TyrionELIZABETHJASONSHUBINCHRISTOPHEKYLERICHARDJAMESJEFFREYRICHARDIVAN
CerseiHANAPHILIPBIBBYCHARLESKIMBERLYDAVIDDAVIDRAGHAVENDRAAMBERMARGERY
JaimeKATHYEMMYMARGARETBRIANMICHAELCAROLERAYMONDGLENNELISEFRANCES

Need:

StudentTeacher 1Teacher 2Teacher 3Teacher 4Teacher 5Teacher 6Teacher 7Teacher 8Teacher 9Teacher 10
BobALISONAMANDACHRISTOPHEMADELYNMICHAELMILAMINDYPATRICKPAULSTEPHEN
BillAIDANALBANETTEANDREAAUREAAYOTUNDEBROOKECELESTINAERICJONATHANSTEPHEN
ErickALEXABRICEDEENADOUGLASGARYJOHNELLJOSEPHKEVINMCGWIREMONIQUE
TyrionCHRISTOPHEELIZABETHIVANJAMESJASONJEFFREYKYLERICHARDRICHARDSHUBIN
CerseiAMBERBIBBYCHARLESDAVIDDAVIDHANAKIMBERLYMARGERYPHILIPRAGHAVENDRA
JaimeBRIANCAROLEELISEEMMYFRANCESGLENNKATHYMARGARETMICHAELRAYMOND

9 REPLIES 9
StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

The Sort tool will do the trick (example attached)

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Here is the sample workflow for your case.  Hope this is helpful. 

WorkflowWorkflow

myastarling
10 - Fireball

That's a really nice solution to this -- I'm going to file this away for future reference. The one thing I noticed is that if the teacher names are duplicated then the duplications are excluded. May I suggest a small modification to include these dupes? Rather than grouping by Value, concatenate instead and then parse into rows to keep the duplicates --

myastarling
10 - Fireball

sorry for the duplicate post -- for some reason it wouldn't let me post my workflow unless I replied directly to the original post. I've attached my slight modification.

JonathanRichey
7 - Meteor

@myastarling is it possible to share your workflow?

Thanks!

myastarling
10 - Fireball

@JonathanRichey

did my second post come through? For some reason I was unable to post a workflow responding to ponraj's response, so I added a response to the OP - let me know if it isn't visible on your end.

JonathanRichey
7 - Meteor

@myastarling yes. It showed right after I asked to share your workflow. Thanks @ponraj and @myastarling for the solution!

myastarling
10 - Fireball

whoops! my apologies! it needs one more sort tool immediately after the Transpose tool (sort by Value - ascending) - otherwise it reassembles everything back into the original order.

JonathanRichey
7 - Meteor

Updated to include sort after transpose. Thanks!

Labels