Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Rounding to the nearest whole number

markjp85
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I have a really simple rounding issue when using a calcualtion, please see the details below.

I am claculating the following [Quantity Ordered]/[Case Size] & want to round up to whole cases. I have tried using CEIL & ROUND which don't seem to work & return silly numbers so I am clearly missing something. An example of the calcuation is below,

302/6 = 50.3 - this needs to round up to 51.

Please can anyone advise me where this is going wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Mark

8 REPLIES 8
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Can you show us what sort of answers you are getting instead when using CEIL formula? This one should work: CEIL([Quantity Ordered]/[Case Size])

... so if that's not giving you 51, you may need to check to ensure that your two fields are a numeric data type - if one of them is a string, that might give you some incorrect results?

Let us know! 

NJ

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Using a formula tool:

CEIL(302/6)

should return 51.

JoshKushner
12 - Quasar
If you want to Round Up use: CIEL([num])
If you want to Round Down use: FLOOR([num])
markjp85
5 - Atom

Thanks for your replies, I used this & it worked perfectly, I had a summerize in the wrong place in my workflow that was causing the numbers issue so everything is now fixed & giving me the correct data.

Premyevale
5 - Atom

Hi,

I am wondering if I can use CEIL and floor together..

Like if its 55.4 the result should be 55 and if it is 55.6 then the result should be 56..

Regards,

Prem

joeltrudel
6 - Meteoroid

I would like to know this as well- I've run into several occasions where Alteryx rounds up/down (incorrectly) because I've used either Ceil/Floor and not both. Would like  logical rounding i.e.<.4 rounds down, .5 or < rounds up. Please let me know if this is possible or the best way to achieve this.

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Try the Round function

Round(3/8, .001) = 0.375

Round(3/8, .01) = 0.38

https://help.alteryx.com/current/Reference/Functions.htm

Premyevale
5 - Atom

Round([FIELD_NAME], 1) 

We will get to the nearest Integer same as using round up and round down together..

Round([FIELD_NAME], 100)

We will get to the nearest 100

Round([FIELD_NAME], 0.01)

We will get to two decimal

CEIL([FIELD_NAME]/1)

This is similar to round up function

Regards,

Prem

Labels