Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Rounding issues based on data type

MHS
8 - Asteroid

Hello Community!

I have a problem that I was hoping that someone could help me with.  I am calculating a ratio thru the multi-row tool  and attempting to export the field as an integer field type, but the tool continues to throw an error that the field resulted in a string but the field is numeric.  I can export the field as a string, but when I change the field type back to an integer with the select tool  I run into a rounding issue with the ratio which does not allow me to convert to a percentage.  Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Matt

6 REPLIES 6
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @MHS ,

Do you use "" in your formula? 

If yes you should remove them. 

Maybe you can share a workflow with a data sample or at least a screen of the multi-row formula configuration. 

MHS
8 - Asteroid

Hi Emil_Kos,

Thanks for the help on this!

Below is the expression and a screenshot of the multi row tool as it is set up.  

IF [Average - Ignore 0's_New open status]>= 1 THEN [Average - Ignore 0's_New open status]/[Row+7:Sum_Consolidated status duration]
ELSEIF [Average - Ignore 0's_Sprint ready duration seconds]>= 1 THEN [Average - Ignore 0's_Sprint ready duration seconds]/[Row+6:Sum_Consolidated status duration]
ELSEIF [Average - Ignore 0's_3 Amigos duration seconds]>= 1 THEN [Average - Ignore 0's_3 Amigos duration seconds]/[Row+5:Sum_Consolidated status duration]
ELSEIF [Average - Ignore 0's_In progress duration seconds]>= 1 THEN [Average - Ignore 0's_In progress duration seconds]/[Row+4:Sum_Consolidated status duration]
ELSEIF [Average - Ignore 0's_Story signoff duration seconds]>= 1 THEN [Average - Ignore 0's_Story signoff duration seconds]/[Row+3:Sum_Consolidated status duration]
ELSEIF [Average - Ignore 0's_Release testing duration seconds]>= 1 THEN [Average - Ignore 0's_Release testing duration seconds]/[Row+2:Sum_Consolidated status duration]
ELSEIF [Average - Ignore 0's_Release ready duration seconds]>= 1 THEN [Average - Ignore 0's_Release ready duration seconds]/[Row+1:Sum_Consolidated status duration]
ELSE "" ENDIF

MHS_0-1614720918823.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Question - are you sure that all of the fields you are calling on are integers? If one of them is a string type you would get this error. It's always good to double check. If you can post a screengrab of a filter tool right before your mutli-row that might help people take a glance at what types of fields you're bringing in.

I'd also recommend not using an integer for a division exercise like this. I'd use a double - if it needs to be an integer - you may want to consider something like the floor() function...

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Also - your final else uses """ which is a definitely string. Set it for 0 or null(). I believe it currently has 3 quotes - not 2 so it's a set up to create a single " currently.

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @MHS,

Can you try this expression and let me know if it solves your issue.

IF [Average - Ignore 0's_New open status]>= 1 THEN [Average - Ignore 0's_New open status]/[Row+7:Sum_Consolidated status duration]
ELSEIF [Average - Ignore 0's_Sprint ready duration seconds]>= 1 THEN [Average - Ignore 0's_Sprint ready duration seconds]/[Row+6:Sum_Consolidated status duration]
ELSEIF [Average - Ignore 0's_3 Amigos duration seconds]>= 1 THEN [Average - Ignore 0's_3 Amigos duration seconds]/[Row+5:Sum_Consolidated status duration]
ELSEIF [Average - Ignore 0's_In progress duration seconds]>= 1 THEN [Average - Ignore 0's_In progress duration seconds]/[Row+4:Sum_Consolidated status duration]
ELSEIF [Average - Ignore 0's_Story signoff duration seconds]>= 1 THEN [Average - Ignore 0's_Story signoff duration seconds]/[Row+3:Sum_Consolidated status duration]
ELSEIF [Average - Ignore 0's_Release testing duration seconds]>= 1 THEN [Average - Ignore 0's_Release testing duration seconds]/[Row+2:Sum_Consolidated status duration]
ELSEIF [Average - Ignore 0's_Release ready duration seconds]>= 1 THEN [Average - Ignore 0's_Release ready duration seconds]/[Row+1:Sum_Consolidated status duration]
ELSE null() ENDIF

Sapna Gupta
MHS
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the help!

Will need to keep this statement in mind when I stumble across a rounding error again in the future.

Matt

Labels