Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Rounding and Times

Jon_Taylor
8 - Asteroid

I am stuck on something that seems like it would be easy. I have looked around the community and web a few days to get an example or guidance but I still seem to not find and answer.

I have a multi issue problem here, so lets start with the first issue. I have a list of race times listed as xx:xx:xxx. I have come across multiple sources of information stating that Alteryx can not process that time format. For racing data the milliseconds could be the determination of a win or loss. I have my data input in the format of x.xx.xxx and my first Idea was to separate the numbers for minuets, seconds, milliseconds. I thought then rounding the milliseconds to "2" digits and then put the string back together in the time format of xx:xx:xx would a good start. Once I have that I planned to use the "date & time" parser to start getting into a form i can analyze.

This lead to my new issue of trying to Round the 3 digit column to 2 digits. After looking I can not find any guides on this.

If you have a link or idea please in regards to rounding or my overall issue with times please reply. any information is appreciated

Jon_Taylor_0-1614698524716.png

Thanks,

Jon

6 REPLIES 6
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @Jon_Taylor ,

Regarding the second issue, I assume that be saying rounding the 3 digit column to 2 digits you mean rounding 337 to 340 or 866 to 870, right?

If that's the case you can use a round function, as show below

Round([3 digits column],10)

AngelosPachis_0-1614700016035.png

Concerning issue 1, I'm not sure what you are trying to do. What kind of analysis you are after?

Cheers,

Angelos

Jon_Taylor
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for your input. In regards to rounding I am trying to make it so the 3erd digit is rounded and I am left with just 2 digits. I want to do this because Alteryx can not handle the time format of xx:xx:XXX. the accuracy will be off due to this but I think if I round the milliseconds I can then use an Alteryx format. Below is what I wanted to achieve. I believe your formula can be used and I can just remove the last digit. I have also included my flow for more clarity.

:333 to :33

:336 to :34

So a time of 1:00:333 and 1:00:336 can be differentiated to show who was fastest.

Also my workflow is in progress of being built 🙂

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Jon_Taylor 

I believe the example below should help you fix the round issue:

pedrodrfaria_0-1614705434514.png

I attached the workflow.

Pedro.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Jon_Taylor ,

I assume that you know that:

min("1:12:123","1:12:124") returns the smaller

you can sort or use min function or summarize min and get the fastest time. 

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Jon_Taylor
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for the ideas, I will attempt to use the Min() formula which I actually did not know about to try and see if I can get the sorting done. I guess my only concern would be it looks like you are adding all times in the formula to be sorted. can I use Min([race time]) to get the min of the column? I am excited to get into playing around with this as well as see what I can do now that the time is in a format that Alteryx can parse. I am not sure if that will even do anything but we will see. 

Thanks again!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

The summarize tool allows you to find the min out fastest time across many rows.  

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels