Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Round 130.3155 to 3 decimal places....

craigja
8 - Asteroid

Sounds simple yeah?  130.3155 rounded to 3 dp is 130.316

Try this....

Round(130.3155, 0.001)

It gives 130.315 

Why? and how can I get round to behave as expected?

6 REPLIES 6
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora
Will work on troubleshooting the Round function later, but you can try a
fixed decimal data type with 3 decimal places.

I'd do this in a select tool. set it to 9.3, so you have room for larger
numbers before the decimal point.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers!
Esther

--
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @craigja,

It looks as though the round function is rounding it down. I'll take a look at why in a little bit.

However you could add 0.001 to your value to get around the issue: Round([Value]+0.001, 0.001)

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Jonathan

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hey @craigja 

So this is a really weird issue that I've seen other people discuss on the message boards. The workaround that I use is to separate the number into a whole number and decimal, round the decimal separately, and then add the two values back together. 

The formula to do it looks like the below. I've also attached a sample workflow for you. 

ToNumber(REGEX_Replace(ToString([Field1]), "\.(.*)",""))+Round(ToNumber("."+REGEX_Replace(ToString([Field1]), "(.*)\.","")),0.001)

Maskell_Rascal_0-1588785897096.png

Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks!

Phil

Paddi
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Maskell_Rascal , really appreciate your workflow updated. It seems the solution does not work if there are more than 5 digits, can you help me with it? Thank you.

ToNumber(REGEX_Replace(ToString([Field1]), "\.(.*)",""))+Round(ToNumber("."+REGEX_Replace(ToString([Field1]), "(.*)\.","")),0.00001)

gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

Hey @Paddi 

I would try this formula:

Round(Round([original], .0001),.001)

Please accept as solution if it answered your question.

Hope this helps! 

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

@Paddi 

the solution which Maskell_Rascal provided is working for me.  Can you provide an example number for which his solution is not working please?

thanks.

Labels