Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Room utilization

msc228
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I have datasets about various Buildings (Building 1 through Building N) and various rooms within each building. We also know the times for which each room was used as well as the number of people in that room within that window. Please find a simplified version of my data below.

BuildingRoom NumberDateTimeStartTimeEndNoAttendees
Building 1Room 1Jan 1, 201810:00 AM10:05 AM1
Building 1Room 2Jan 1, 201810:01 AM10:05 AM2
Building 1Room 3Jan 1, 201810:02 AM10:10 AM3
Building 1Room 4Jan 1, 201810:03 AM10:10 AM4

I am trying to find to calculate the maximum number of people in each building at any time on each day. In the above example, I have a maximum of 10 people in the Building 1 (1 + 2 + 3 + 4); in the above example, this maximum occurs from 10:03 AM - 10:05 AM. How can this be calculated within Alteryx?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Dynamomo
11 - Bolide

Hi @msc228 ,

Sorry, I'm not a programmer but when I saw this problem I immediately saw the need for a generate rows tool (generate a record for every minute between the start and end times for every record).  Then, now that the records are at the minute level, you use the Summarize to group on the time and sum up the number of attendees.

I have attached a workflow to illustrate.

msc228
5 - Atom

Hi Dynamomo,

Apologies, I'm having trouble opening the file. I'm on an older version of Alteryx (11.03), so I believe that may be causing the issue. However, I believe I understand how to replicate what you're describing. I will test it now. 

Dynamomo
11 - Bolide

Here is a screenshot of the workflow and generate rows tool

screenshot3.JPG

screenshot4.JPG

msc228
5 - Atom

Hi Dynamomo,

That worked wonderfully. Thank you for your help.

Labels